8 Great ‘Spring Things’ To Do in Radium Hot Springs
The sun is shining, the birds are chirping and the flowers are starting to bloom–Spring is on its way. Why not plan to enjoy it this year in British Columbia’s most beautiful place: the Columbia Valley! And there’s nowhere more beautiful than Radium Hot Springs, perfect for a relaxing getaway or an epic adventure in the Rocky Mountains.
The Bighorn Meadows Resort team has put together our top picks for “Spring Things To Do” in Radium this Spring. We hope you book a stay long enough to enjoy them all!
Enjoy the unique wildlife that calls the Columbia Valley home
Have you ever seen a Bighorn? They’re wild, majestic, and their daily presence in Radium is something we celebrate. In the springtime, they roam around Radium Hot Springs (like they own the place!) until they move to higher ground for the summer. (Come back during the Fall to check out the Radium Hot Springs Headbanger Festival.) While we’re a little biased and love our local sheep, you’ll also find bald eagles, moose, deer, elk and more during your visit. Note: Like Parks Canada, we want to Keep the WILD in wildlife! Here are 10 Tips to Respect Wildlife and Stay Safe.
Take a hike!
Some of those beautiful animals can be seen while exploring town, but many of them can be spotted during a nature walk or hike on some of our lush local trails.
- Kootenay National Park is one of Canada’s most gorgeous parks. It offers an abundance of sights to see and areas to explore, including Sinclair Canyon, Paint Pots, and Marble Canyon. Parks Canada has a guided tour app that you download to learn more, or ask one of our friendly front-desk team members for tips and top hikes.
- Not to be missed if you’re heading in that direction is Kootenay Valley Viewpoint. The phrase “stop and smell the roses” becomes “stop and see this view”. It’s easy to pull over in the designated area and spend some time taking in the mountain air. Bring your camera!
- Another area favourite is Olive Lake. Its emerald green colour sparkles like glass and you can enjoy an easy walk or picnic. It’s a one-of-a-kind sight to see, and there’s a short trail along the lake that gives you plenty of opportunity to take in the view and snap a few photos.
- You’ll find great hiking and cycling trails in Dry Gulch Provincial Park
- The Old Coach Trail is an eight kilometer stretch along the benchlands above the Columbia River. You’ll definitely enjoy the impressive views of the wetlands below.
Take your taste buds on a Foodie Adventure
Pastries, coffee and dinner – oh my! Here are some of the food and drink hotspots in Radium Hot Springs you must add to your itinerary:
- One of the best views in the area could be from your dining chair at Citadella Restaurant. Sitting high on a hill, it has breathtaking views of the town and valley below. A mix of European, Hungarian, and Canadian fare, it’s sure to delight your taste buds. Perhaps the most difficult decision of your trip will be the choice between crepes or strudel for dessert!
- Radium Hot Springs’ best espresso can be sipped at Big Horn Cafe. Enjoy this unique coffee house experience while sitting around a hand-made Douglas Fir table. It’s the perfect spot to relax and recharge between adventures.
Want more Foodie Adventure inspiration? Check out our Radium Hot Springs Foodie Activities Itinerary here, featuring Dave’s Hot Pepper Jelly, Winderberry & Edible’s Farm, Arrowhead Brewery, Kicking Horse Coffee, Taynton Bay Spirits, Elevations Dining and more.
Follow the birds!
While out walking, hiking, cycling and exploring, you’re sure to spot many of the beautiful birds that call Radium Hot Springs home. But if you’re looking for an extra-special birdwatching experience, you’ll want to check out Wings Over The Rockies Festival. It’s set to happen with keynote speaker Alex Taylor from May 11 to 17, 2020.
Make it a Spa Day
Whether you walked miles checking out our local shopping, dining, arts and culture, or hiked miles up to one of our epic mountain peaks, you should treat yourself with a trip to the spa:
- Elevation Massage & Spa boasts a relaxing experience with mountain style. They offer a variety of services including massage, facials, manicures, pedicures, hair services and more.
- Pleiades Spa & Wellness focuses on complete relaxation from the moment you step in the door. They offer a variety of services too like salt scrubs and massage to reduce stress and help you relax.
Go for a soak!
Prefer to go the natural route? Go for a soak! We talk a lot about the hot springs for which we’re named–the fabulous Radium hot springs pools (and for good reason). But there are other wonderful hot springs in the Columbia Valley that are definitely worth a visit:
Check out Lussier Hot Springs, “long a favourite of campers and wilderness pilgrims, this beautiful set of hot springs can easily be accessed from the Whiteswan Forestry Road by a short hike down to the Lussier River” (radiumhotsprings.com). You can relax and rejuvenate in the warm nature-made pools while you take in the breathtaking scenery of historic Whiteswan Provincial Park. And it’s an easy, scenic 1- hour drive from Bighorn Meadows Resort.
Not for the faint of heart: Zipline!
The wind in your hair and Radium Hot Springs beneath your feet; there’s nothing quite like a zipline! Valley Zipline Adventures has a 7-line course that “sends you zig-zagging across the Dry Gulch valley”. You’ll be able to see the Columbia Valley Wetlands and the Purcell Mountain range from a whole new perspective.
Arts & Culture
With a vibrant arts and cultural scene, Radium Hot Springs is home to many talented artists.
- Funky Junk Stained Glass and More is a treasure trove of unique items. From stained glass to jewelry, to refurbished furniture and handmade soaps, this store has something for everyone.
- The Radium Woodcarver is another unique experience that you won’t find anywhere else. With a stunning display of carvings both large and small, you’ll be amazed at the talented craftsmanship.
So much more…
This list of our Top 10 “Spring Things To Do” in Radium Hot Springs is just the tip of the mountain range. There are so many spectacular places to explore, experiences to have, things to do, places to eat, people to meet, and photos to take. We’ve compiled more of our favourites here, in our Radium Hot Springs Activities Round-Up.
Whether you’re dreaming of a relaxing getaway or an epic Rocky Mountain adventure, Radium Hot Springs is yours to discover. Start planning now! Ready to go? Book your stay at Bighorn Meadows Resort now.